It is our intent at Lakeside Primary Academy, to provide pupils with a high-quality education in English that will teach pupils to speak, read and write fluently so that they can communicate their ideas and emotions to others effectively.
With regards to Reading, phonics will be emphasised in the early teaching of reading when pupils start school, to ensure children are equipped with the right skills to become fluent readers. Pupils are encouraged to read widely across both fiction and non-fiction to develop their understanding of themselves and the world in which they live, and to develop a love of reading. Reading is taught through guided reading and whole class reading sessions to focus on the key components of reading – word reading and language comprehension. It is our intention to ensure that, by the end of their primary education, all pupils are able to read fluently, and with confidence, in any subject in their forthcoming secondary education.
With regards to Writing, we intend for children to be able to plan, revise and evaluate their writing. Children develop a love of writing through a range of genres, and an awareness of their audience, purpose and context is important so that the writing is relevant and meaningful to them. Lessons are structured to provide high-quality modelling from staff to ensure children understand and are confident with the writing process, before having more responsibility and independence in their own writing. It is our intention to ensure that, by the end of their primary education, all children can be proud of their writing and to have had opportunities to become creative writers.
Long Term Plans
Please contact your class teacher if you require more specific information regarding your child or their year group.
- Pobble – http://www.pobble365.com/
- Literacy Shed – https://www.literacyshed.com/home.html
- Once upon a picture – https://www.onceuponapicture.co.uk/
- Vocabulary Ninja – https://vocabularyninja.wordpress.com/
- Phonics Play – https://www.phonicsplay.co.uk/
- Teach your monster to read – https://www.teachyourmonstertoread.com/
- Spellzone – https://www.spellzone.com/
- Readtheory – https://readtheory.org/auth/login
- Letters and Sounds – www.letters-and-sounds.com
- Various author websites (David Walliams, Roald Dahl, Maz Evans etc)